Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Free Fallin'

Yesterday’s corner time: 18 Minutes.

I’m catching up on my law studies nicely.

So, day one of activities for Hammy the Hamster. My Dad recently bought me an Action Man doll complete with parachute. Perfect.

I awoke the unsuspecting furry critter from his slumbers shortly after breakfast. I wasted no time in stringing him into the harness before making my way upstairs to my bedroom window.

I counted down: 10, 3, 7, 4, 6, 4, 5, 4, 1 and gracefully launched Hammy through the opening.

Unfortunately, the chute became tangled and failed to open. I could see the terrified rodent desperately clawing at his chest for the reserve. Regrettably, this was a contingency that I had overlooked.

Fortunately, I had strategically positioned Baby Becca below my window to act as a safety net.

Unfortunately, I had underestimated the acceleration of a free falling Hamster.

Hammy glanced off the back of Becca’s neck, rattling both her teeth and sending her head-first into the flower bed, where she completely flattened Mum’s Begonias. She’s a big girl.

Hammy ricocheted, with not unreasonable force, into the patio door. He seemed to hang there indefinitely, before sliding down the glass and coming to a gentle rest on the step.

Luckily, Becca had managed to sufficiently cushion Hammy’s impact for him to survive the drop. You can still see his nose print on the glass door.

I think Hammy will probably agree with me that this was much better than sleeping all day. It’ll be hard to top this.

Matthew.

Related Posts: Sharp Teeth, Introduction

2 comments:

Nathan Giesbrecht said...

I too had a hampster named Hammy when I was younger! It's the best possible name for a hampster.

Matthew said...

I totally agree. Although, my friend had a three legged hamster called Tripod which I thought was a good name too.