Thursday, July 19, 2007

Sports Day

Yesterday’s corner time: 4 Minutes.

Yesterday was my first ever sports day at school.

There was no mention of a Dad’s race but it was funny how all the fathers arrived wearing trainers, just in case. Whenever they believed no one was looking, I noticed them having furtive stretches.

I asked my Dad why he was wearing his running shoes but he said it was for no particular reason.

The whole philosophy behind our sports day was to provide an opportunity for everyone to demonstrate what they were capable of achieving. It most definitely wasn’t about winning or losing.

Naturally, this didn’t go down at all well with Dad who had already started taking bets on the day’s events.

Apparently, I was the clear favourite for the Egg and Spoon race and large quantities of money was exchanging hands.

Dad wanted me to take a dive before reaching the finishing line because, having placed all the money on Charlie Dexter, we would then clean up.

I didn’t want to clean up. I don’t like cleaning. Therefore, I stormed over the finishing line in first place. I looked around for the proud faces of my parents only to see Dad disappearing quickly into the distance with all the other Fathers in hot pursuit.

So, this is why he wore his running shoes.

Matthew.

No comments: